Derby Races > Coaching Tips for Parents
- Help your child plan a schedule to prevent a last-minute project and allow time for her to do her best. You need at least one day to cut/sand the car and another to paint/decorate.
- Help your child understand the rules and specifications.
- If your child chooses to use a design template (attached), help her trace it on the block of wood from the kit.
- Guide her in the use of tools in the shaping of the car and encourage her to sandpaper the wood to a smooth finish.
- Help your child feel that this is a joint project, with her doing as much of the work as possible.
- Help your child to understand that “doing your best” is as important as having the fastest car.
- Help your child feel a sense of pride and satisfaction when the car and race are finished. Share it with your daughter. You have both earned it!
- Spending time with your child helping her “do her best” will be remembered by both of you long after the race is finished.