Friends of the Park - A Community Service Partnership for Service Unit 440 and The City of Sammamish
Please have your Girl Scout Troop join the cause!!!
- Girl Scouts Western Washington and Service Unit 440 are partnering with the City of Sammamish to make our already great community even better.
- Has a desire to work outdoors
- Has an interest in Sammamish parks and park vegetation
- Is able to walk (or travel) through parks and trails
- Wants to learn how to be comfortable talking to park visitors
- Would like to learn about leading volunteer work parties
- Wants to help keep the park safe for all visitors and their dogs
- Looking for a Take Action or Community Service Project
- Commitment is one time a year (you pick the day of week and time of day) for 1 to 3 hours
What will my troop be doing and how to sign up?
You can be a Friend of the Park by keeping track of what goes on in Beaver Lake Park and keeping the area clean.
1. Sign up your troop to host a specific month in this Sammamish Friends of the Park Google document or at a Service Unit Meeting.
2. Once your troop has signed up to host a month, coordinate the event date, time and activities within your troop. (You could host your event at whatever day of the week and time that works for your troop, e.g after school, on a weekend with Daddy/Daughters, on a holiday, etc.)
- For questions about the program, feel free to contact Helen Christian .
3. The day of your event print this Girl Scout Friend of Beaver Lake Park Map to use as a guide recording your findings in the areas below:
- Walk the trails and become familiar with them
- Bring plastic bags to pick up litter
- Take pictures of the park to note problems in the park, e.g. destruction, overflowing trash cans, invasive weeds, etc.
- Keep track of the number of adults and children you see in the park
- Keep track of the number of dogs on and off leash you see in the park
- Hand out dog treats (or make a cute flier to attach to the treat) to dogs on leash as a reward for being on leash (optional)
- Remove fishing line from around the water; be cautious as there may be hooks on the fishing line (optional)
- Perform trail maintenance or service project is optional. Please Coordinate with Ebly Jones prior to completing additional projects. Example projects:
Planting Flowers, Shrubs and Trees
Invasive plant removal
Spreading Wood chips around Play Equipment
4. After the event email the map plus an additional information/pictures to either Helen Christian (e.g. at a Service Unit meeting) or to The City of Sammamish, Ebly Jones
View the schedule Sammamish Friends of the Park Google document